Azarm, Shapour PE, Ph.D
- Design Optimization: (Classical and/or Bio-Inspired) Methods for robust design optimization (under interval uncertainty) with multiple design objectives; and/or with multiple coupled subsystems (Multidisciplinary Design Optimization)
- Approximation Assisted Optimization: Strategies for product/process design when there is computationally intensive simulation, using approximation (i.e., design of experiments, meta-modeling and verification) and optimization
- Design Decision Support System: Decision making methods for design selection of single products, product lines, bundled products and convergence products using integration of marketing and engineering models with information from customer surveys or from web based user generated content
- Applications: Mechanical and structural systems, including automotive; consumer electronics; power tools; walking robots and other unmanned vehicles (UAV, UUV, etc.); heat exchangers and other thermal systems
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1984
Honors and Awards
- Westinghouse Professorship (1989)
- Proctor & Gamble Best Paper Awards (1989, 1991)
- ASEE Faculty Fellowships (1994, 1995)
- ASME Service Awards (1996, 1999, 2007)
- ASME Fellow; 2004
- 2007 ASME Design Automation Award "For sustained and meritorious contributions to research in Design Automation, specifically in computational design optimization and engineering design decision making."
- 2009 ASME Design Automation Conference Best Paper Award (with former PhD students, Drs. Mian Li and Nathan Williams).
- Co-author of a paper designated as one of the “10 best papers” (out of 156 submitted) in the 2011 ASME Design Automation Conference
- Guest Co-Editor: Journal of Mechanical Design, Special Issue on “Designing Complex Engineered Systems” (2011)
- Associate Editor: Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (2008-Present)
- Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, Associate Editor (1998-present)
- International Journal of Reliability and Safety, Editorial Board Member (2005 -present)
- ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science In Engineering, Advisory Board Representative (2010-present)
- ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Guest Co-Editor (2006)
- Journal of Mechanical Design, Associate Editor (1993-1995; 2003-2009)
- ASME Systems and Design Group, Operating Board Member (2010-2013)
- ASME Design Engineering Division, Past Chair
- ASME Design Engineering Division (DED) Advisory Committee; Past Chair (2006-2007)
- ASME Design Automation, Past Paper review Chair, Past Conference Chair
- ASME Design Automation Committee, Past Chair
- Fellow Member of ASME
- Senior Member of AIAA
- Member: International Society for Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization
- Member: International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Making
- Professional Engineer: State of Maryland
- Hu, W., A. Almansoori, P.K. Kannan, S. Azarm, and Z. Wang, 2012, “Corporate Dashboards for Integrated Business and Engineering Decisions in Oil Refineries: An Agent-Based Approach,” Decision Support Systems, 52, pp. 729-741, doi: 10.1016/j.dss.2011.11.019.
- Siddiqui, S., S. Azarm, and S. Gabriel, 2012, “On Improving Normal Boundary Intersection Method for Generation of Pareto Frontier,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (online since May 8, 2012, doi: 10.1007/s00158-012-0797-1).
- Hu, W., S. Azarm, and A. Almansoori, 2012, “New Approximation Assisted Multi-objective collaborative Robust Optimization (New AA-McRO) Under Interval Uncertainty,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (online, doi: 10.1007/s00158-012-0816-2 ). (Also, Proceedings of the 13th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Fort Worth, TX, Sept. 2010.)
- Saleh, K., O. Abdelaziz, V. Aute, S. Azarm, and R. Radermacher, 2012, “Approximation Assisted Optimization of Headers for New Generation of Air-Cooled Heat Exchangers,” Applied Thermal Engineering, (online since June 12, 2012).
- Mortazavi, A., S. Azarm, and S. Gabriel, 2012, “Adaptive Gradient Assisted Robust Design Optimization under Interval Uncertainty,” Engineering Optimization (accepted with minor revisions).