Ayyub, Bilal M. PE, Ph.D.
- Project and Infrastructure Risk Analysis and Management
- Uncertainty Analysis and Modeling
- Reliability, Risk and Decision Analysis for Socioeconomic and Technology Systems
- Finance and Legal including Liability and Policy Risk Analysis
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 1983
Honors and Awards
- Commander's Award for Public Service, HQ US Army Corps of Engineers, 2007
- Jimmie Hamilton Awards for the best papers American Society of naval Engineers , 1985, 1992, 2000 and 2003
- Outstanding Research Oriented Paper award in the Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, American Society of naval Engineers, 1987
- Edmund Friedman Award, American Society of naval Engineers, 1989
- Walter Huber Research Prize, American Society of naval Engineers, 1997
- K. S. Fu Award of NAFIPS, 1995
- Fellow, American Society of Engineering Education, Office of Naval Research, U. S. Navy, 1993-94, 2000-01, and 2007-08.
- Appointee on the working group on higher education of the transition team of Governor Martin O’Malley, 2006-07.
- Advisor to Governor Martin O’Malley on the Governor Emergency Management Advisory Council, 2011-present.
- President’s Award, American Society of Naval Engineers, American Society of naval Engineers, 2005.
- Certificate of recognition for outstanding service, Design Philosophies of the Hull Structure Committee, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, 2005.
- Certificate of recognition, ASME Codes and Standards 125th anniversary for dedicated voluntary service, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2009.
- Certificate of Gratitude for Active, Impartial and Significant Contribution as an International Evaluator, Georgia National Science Foundation, Tiblisi, Georgia, 2010.
- Service recognition certificates (count) by ASME (5), ASNE (1), ONR(1), SNAME (1) & Depart. of the Army (COE) (2) for work on codes, standards & journals including the COE Award for Public Service in 2007.
- Delivered invited talks at leading organizations including most recently a distinguished lecture to the Brazilian Research Agency, the Department of Homeland Security, Naval War College for the Chief of Naval Operations, the Army Corps of Engineers, and the Australian national Marine Safety Committee
- Fellow ASCE, ASME & SNAME, and sr. member IEEE; chaired several of their committees
- On the editorial boards of SNAME’s Journal of Ship Research, Ships and Offshore Structures Journal, Naval Engineers Journal (NEJ),
- Chaired NEJ Committee receiving ASNE President’s Award 2005.
- Chaired the International Symposium on Uncertainty Modeling and Analysis, ISUMA90, ISUMA93, ISUMA95, ISUMA03 and ISUMA11
- Chaired ASCE's ICVRAM 2011, NAFIPS conference 1995, receiving K.S. Fu service award; and chaired the ASME safety and risk division (SEARD), ASME service (2006) and SERAD (2009) awards.
- Ayyub, B. M., Foster, J., McGill, W. L., “Risk Analysis of a Protected Hurricane-Prone Region I: Model Development,” ASCE Natural Hazards Review, May 2009, 38-53, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2009)10:2(38).
- Avrithi, K., and Ayyub, B. M., “Load and Resistance Factor Design LRFD of Nuclear Straight Pipes for Loads That Cause Primary Stress,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, ASME, Vol. 132, April 2010, 1.1-14.
- Ayyub, B. M., “On Uncertainty in Information and Ignorance in Knowledge,” J. General Systems, 39(4), May 2010, 415-435.
- Shamoo, A. E., and Ayyub, B. M., “Benefit/Risk Estimates in Clinical Trials,” Drug Information Journal, Drug Information Association, 2011, Vol 45, pp 1-7, 0092-8615/2011.
- Ayyub, B. M., and Braileanu, H. G., and Qureshi, N., “Prediction and Impact of Sea Level Rise on Properties and Infrastructure of Washington, DC,” Risk Analysis Journal, Society for Risk Analysis, 2011 Oct 28. doi: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2011.01710.x.
- Ayyub, B. M., and Parker, L. “Financing Nuclear Liability,” Science, 334, 16 December 2011, 1494.