Christou, Aris Ph.D.
- Materials processing and manufacture technology
- Strained engineered materials for optoelectronics
- Physics-of-failure in electronic materials
- Opto-electronic monolithically integrated optoelectronics
- Analog mm-wave integrated circuits
- Molecular nanoelectronics devices using 1D and 2D Structures
- Tribology of ceramics and surface lubricants
- Finite element methods applied to metal alloys
- Metal-nonmetal composites and electronic packaging
- Phase transformations and defects in metastable structures.
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1971
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the IEEE
- IEEE National Lecturer in Optoelectronic Devices and Materials Reliability Physics (2000)
- University of Maryland Invention of the Year Award in the Physical Sciences (1999)
- IEEE National Lecturer in Electron Devices (1999)
- Navy (NRL) Patent Award for Electron Device Inventions (1991)
- The Naval Research Laboratory Outstanding Performance Award (1989, 1990)
- 1985 Fulbright Scholar Award
- 1976 & 1977 Alan Berman Publication Award
- 16 US Patents
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (Fellow)
- American Physical Society (Fellow)
- Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Society of Photonic and Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE)
- University Materials Council (member since 1993)
- The Nuclear Engineering Department Heads Organization (NEDHO) (member since 1993)
- Board of Trustees of Federation of Materials Societies
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability
- IEEE Transactions on Electronic Devices; Editorial Board, Reliability and Quality International, John Wiley Publisher
- Editorial Board Member and Technical Committee Member of GaAs Applications Conference, IEEE
- Chair of MRS Symposium on Molecular and Nanomolecular Electronics (April 2001)
- Member of a number of NSF Review Panels
- W. Martin and A. Christou, “Life-Stress Relationships for Thin Film Transistor Gate Interconnects on Flexible Substrates,” IRPS, IEEE-EDS, CFP9RPS-CDR, pp 117-121 (2010).
- Y. Lin, M. Krishnan, S. Salemi, and A.. Christou, “Strain Induced Buffer Layer Defects i n GaN HFETs and Their Evolution During Reliability Testing,” IRPS, IEEE-EDS, CFP9RPS-CDR, pp. 718-722 (2010).
- S. Salemi and A. Christou, “Charge Control Analysis of Gallium Nitride Semiconductor Heterostructures,” IWN-2008, Vol II, pp. 176-181 (2008).
- A. Christou, “Monte Carlo Reliability Model for Microwave Monolithic Integrated Circuits,” Qual. and Reliability Int, Vol. QRE-896, pp 1-15 (2007).
- Seokjin Kim, Kwangsik Choi, Martin Peckerar, and *Aris Christou, “Line-spike induced failure mechanism in integrated circuit bond-wires,” Proceedings of 2008 IRPS, IEEE-EDS, Vol CFP8RPS, pp.356-360 (2008).
- S. Yang, A.Christou, “Failure Model for Silver Electromigration” IEEE Trans Materials, Device Reliability, Vol2, Feb 2007.
- S. Yang, J.Wu, A. Christou, “Initial Stages of Silver Electrochemical Migration Degradation,” Microelectronics Reliability vol.46 (2006) 1915-1921.
- C.C. Zhang, Aris Christou, “Reliability of Leadless Interconnects in GaAs ASICS”, J. of RIAC, 2006, No.2, 20-26.
- M. Linnick, Chichang Zhang and A. Christou, “Dielectric Constants for AlGaInAs Quartenary Semiconductor Alloys Grown by MBE for VCSEL Bragg Mirror Applications”, in The Physics and Challenges for Integrated Optics Symposium, MS&T 2005, pp. 23-31.
- Mohamad Al-Sheikhley, D. Sweet, Lourdes Salamanca-Riba, B. Varughese, J. Silverman, Aris Christou and William Bentley, “Radiation-Induced Failure Mechanisms of GaAs –Based Biochips,” IEEE Trans on Device and materials Reliability, vol. 4, No. 2 (192-197), June 2004.
- C. Zhang, P.Yalamanchili, M. Al-Sheikhley and A. Christou, “Metal migration in epoxy encapsulated ECL devices”, Microelectronics Reliability 44 (2004) 1323-1330.
- Introduction to the Physics of Materials (second edition)
- Reliability of Analogue Microwave Integrated Circuits
- Reliability of High Temperature Electronics
- Photonic Materials, Devices and Reliability
- Reliability of GaAs Monolithic Integrated Circuits
- Electromigration and Related Failure Mechanisms
- Integrating Reliability into Microcircuit Manufacturing